Paper Weaving Sketchy Flower by Ellie Knol

This time I'd like to share this technique I recently learned from a post by Karen Dunbrook : Paper Weaving. (I want to give credit where credit is due ) ..
Thanks so much Karen for this inspiration!



Start out by cutting/using up paper strips of about 1,3 centimeters wide and weave them to form the background .. 



I chose to make it slightly larger than I would need, so I could just cut the unneeded part away. No need to glue he whole thing, as long as the edges are glued. 


As I used regular cardstock strips, I needed to cover the background with a transparent gesso first, as the color will soak into the cardstock.  



I chose to color the image with a ready made watercolor, to have more control of the coloring (from Ecoline and Dahler&Rowney).
 I put a kitchen towel underneath while coloring the images to absorb any color that would go through the holes in the background. 



To provide a nice backdrop for the weaved paper background I created a background with the same colors, and stamped around the edges randomly with some text and mixed media stamps in colored and black ink.  





Apart from stamping sequins I also adhered real ones with glossy accents. 
The weaved part is adhered to the colorful background with 3D tape for more interest and depth. 

Don't tell Susanne, but I think this flower is one of my most-used stamps :) ;
 for this project to work I had to use a stamp with a lot of white space, so it's perfect. 

Comments

Priss BlaFu said…
Thanks Ellie to show us this amazing technique from Karen Dunbrook. I love it
Karen Dunbrook said…
It turned out gorgeous mf....well done. So happy you tried it!!
xx Karen

Popular posts from this blog

New Stamps Release Sale!

NEW! Join our Monthly Colour Challenge!

Back from The Netherlands

Rubber Dance Blog Hop