Cold and Frosty Journal Page by Katy


As promised here's a step-by-step guide to my journal page created for this month's Colour Challenge! Here I am showing the technique but you can find out more about the background story on my own blog if you wish.

Step 1: Layer various elements onto a piece of watercolour paper (I use watercolour paper as it can take a lot of liquid). I added a doily, some die cuts, crumpled tissue paper and crochet lace. The stamping on this layer won't show but I use it as a guide to my final layout. I secured the elements with gel medium.

Step 2: At this stage I wanted a bit more texture so I added a torn strip of gauze. When the glue is dry, paint over the whole page with gesso - you may need two or three coats. Allow to dry. Use gesso for this to provide a 'key' for the sprays to follow.

Step 3: Place a snowflake mask over the page and spray with Distress Stain Sprays in Faded Jeans and Broken China, finishing with a dash of Brushed Pewter. These are the sprays I favour but you could use any spray inks for this in colours of your choice. Remove the mask and dry. My mask was only 6x6 so I actually sprayed my page in two halves.

Step 4: Add stamping over the background in black and grey (I used Rubber Dance Grunge Swirls, Vintage Text and the snowflake flourish from Winter Wonderland). Tear and staple some pieces of sequin waste.

Step 5: Highlight some the raised areas with Treasure Gold or other gilding wax to make them pop from the background.

Step 6: To complete the page I added some stamped snowflakes (Winter Wonderland set) and some metal charms. I tore the edges of the photo and swiped them with white paint to soften and blend them into the background. The photo is tucked underneath the sequin waste. A layered chipboard snowflake and a few gems finish the page.

TOP TIPS!!!
- You will probably need to heat set both the spray inks and the stamping on top of the gesso to ensure it dries properly.

- If you used this technique to create a canvas instead of a journal page you could use much more chunky elements at step one such as metal shapes, chipboard pieces or found materials like seed pods or twigs. However I would be adding the page to my journal so I wanted it to be relatively flat.

-Don't worry about adding coloured elements to the first layer because you'll be covering the whole thing with gesso which will make everything white.

-At Step Three I put my page between two pieces of copy paper and put a heavy weight onto it for an hour or so. This helped to flatten the page which buckled slightly when I heat set the spray ink.

Hope you've enjoyed my tut and I wish you a Happy New Year!

Katy xxx

To find the stamps I have used, here's the Rubber Dance web shop: www.rubberdance.com



Comments

massofhair said…
Stunning project, want to learn to layer like that this year. Thank you for the step by step it is very helpful:-) xxx
Craftyfield said…
Me too... never tried layering in this way, your step by step helps and hopefully will kick me into crafty action...
Debbie said…
A great tutorial showing how to achieve fabulous texture and the use of colour and stamping. Thanks Debbie xx
Artatag said…
Very nice project! That would make a wonderful card. Great tut.
xox
Seriously cool page hun - no pun intended!! lol love it!! xxx
Bibi Lindahl said…
Thank you so much, Katy! :-) It's really beautiful and I'm so glad you have given us the instructions - I would never have guessed how to achieve that result!
XOX
ddazzled71 said…
Beautiful page, love the dimension and texture all framing your gorgeous winter landscape. xx
RosA said…
That's gorgeous! It's the middle of summer here, (hot, humid and altogether energy sapping) but your lovely wintery creation is an inspiration :)
Susanne Rose said…
This is so wonderful!!! I love the texture.
Unknown said…
I love all the frostiness you have captured on your page Katy. Makes a fab frame for your photo.

Popular posts from this blog

February Theme Challenge - Layers

IMPORTANT message from Bibi

Create with your own imagination... (by Corinne, GDT this month)

Poodles of Snow, Cute as a Button