Try a little flower power - Make a brooch

Hi everyone,

Donna here today with an idea to turn your beloved Rubber Dance stamps into a brooch you can take with you everywhere you go, now there's a good idea huh?!




I suggest you grab a warm cuppa as there are quite a few pictures to guide you through the process ;)


I used a wonderful flower from the Crazy Flowers 1 set and a piece of medium thickness Calico which can be bought pretty much anywhere and is not expensive.


I used black Archival ink to stamp directly onto the fabric, it's amazing what a clear image you can actually get.


Next step was to colour the flower with some yummy That's Crafty! Shimmer Paints. I chose these especially as they're quite translucent so will not cover up the flower design too much.


I stamped the inner part of the flower onto some red felt, cut it out and then sewed some white beads onto the circles already contained in the flower centre.


Once the beads were sewn onto the red felt, I then stitched it directly on top of the stamped image on the Calico. I also used black thread to sew around the inner part of the flower too.


I then decided I wanted to sew some blue beads on the outer petals as I was enjoying myself so much with the sewing by now.


Here's what it looked like after I finished sewing the blue beads on, taking shape nicely isn't it ;)


 I thought well why not outline the entire flower using black beads and that's exactly what I did.


So here's the image all beaded and stitched up and ready to go!


Next step was to give it a firmer backing so I took a piece of green felt and attached it to the flower by sewing around the Calico after I cut out the flower in a circular shape.


Here's what it looked like when I'd finished sewing the green felt backing on.


Hmmm, I thought it lacked a little something so I used some Prima Cord to dangle from the brooch. I sewed a brooch clip on the back of the flower so I could then use it to attach to anything I wanted. Once again these supplies are widely available, I usually use that fab online shop beginning with an E....


I decided to pin it to a fabric bag I have as the bag is quite plain so shows the colourful brooch off perfectly. I also added a little wooden bead I had in my stash to one of the dangling cords.


Oh and Fred loved it so much he has asked if I could make him one of a little fish or bird!!!



Since making this brooch I find I'm now addicted to stamping on Calico and making things using stamps as a template. I really hope I've inspired you to dig your stamps out and look at them in a different way as you can do so much with them. 
Also don't worry if you don't fancy sewing as you can achieve pretty much the same effect by gluing the beads on.


Hope you like it
Donna xx


Stamp Set Used:

Crazy Flowers 1


Comments

Bibi Lindahl said…
This is such a clever idea, Donna! Awesome! I've never seen anything like this with stamped images. LOVE it!!! Your cat is so cute and funny, wishing for a bird or fish. Maybe we'll see one of those some day? (How's that for subtle hinting?).
Thank you so much for the tutorial! ♥ ♥ ♥
Wow! How innovative & cool. Loved it :) the beads look so beautiful on the design. Thanks for the detailed tutorial.
Craftyfield said…
That's a good idea, Donna! I must find an appropriate stamp (and some time!!!) to make one of those...
Dora said…
wow, this is great made.
Amanda said…
Love it, love it, love it! Fabulous idea
Love
Amanda x
Fliss said…
This looks absolutely amazing Donna, so beautifully embellished with the beads too. Hope naughty looking Fred didn't do damage to the bag!
Fliss xx
Mac Mable said…
How clever and creative and so unique...love it x
This is just AWESOME dear Donna! I am absolutely thrilled about your idea and how it looks on the bag - and no wonder that Fred is in love with it as well!
Dorthe said…
It is wonderful Donna, the brooch is amazing, and would look fantastic onto a heavy sweater , too- love all the pearls you added to it, and the green "frame" - Such a great idea, to use the stamp, and end up with this beautiful result !
Hugs, Dorthe ,xxx
Amazing idea Donna!! I am inspired!! Thank you for sharing!
I love this so much! How clever 😍
This is fabulous Donna, love handmade brooches!!xx
Such a creative idea - brilliantly done, Donna!
Alison x
Sue said…
This is gorgeous Donna, beautifully done! xx
Brilliant make - a really clever idea too! Hugs, Chrisx
ionabunny said…
Gorgeous. Love practical art. Hugz
Susanne Rose said…
This is such an amazing idea! I love how it turned out.

Popular posts from this blog

February Theme Challenge - Layers

IMPORTANT message from Bibi

Create with your own imagination... (by Corinne, GDT this month)

Poodles of Snow, Cute as a Button