Whale Hello There - Mixed Media and Distress Oxide Inks

Hi everyone, it's Dot here with a fun tutorial for you using the Whale Wishes and Playful Penguins stamp sets and having a play with masking.



I started with just stamping out onto a piece of copy paper how I would like the penguins and the whale to look, aiming for a playful scene with them ... doing this gives me a rough idea of whether an idea will work or not.  I made a mask for the penguin and one for the whale.



As I was going to mask the images, I worked out which one is closest to me as that is the image that would be stamped first.  I've stamped it with Stazon ink as it doesn't bleed when wet products are used. 



I've used Distress Oxides on my craft sheet and applied them with an acrylic block to add some colour to the whale. This is a really quick and fun way to add ink.


Then I've used my water colour pencils to finish off the colouring. I wanted the whale to be a slightly different colour to the penguins, so the pencils were handy to help with this.


For the background I've kept it really simple.  Lots of brayering with paints and a little stamping.


I wasn't really happy with the bubbles - so plan B - more brayered paint for a bit of a border and some modeling paste through a stencil.  The stamping under the paste showed through which was a nice surprise.


Now the whale and penguins look right at home lol.



Stamps used are:



Thank you for stopping by and seeing the penguins and whale playing together in their watery wonderland.

Dot x

Comments

Bibi Lindahl said…
Gorgeous, Dot! I love seeing the whale and penguins play together like this. Adorable! Great tip about stamping on copy paper first, and also how you added colours to the stamped images!! Love your background, too. Thank you so much for sharing! ♥ ♥ ♥
Craftyfield said…
What a lovely scene! The background is great too and the animal pod is fun!
Wonderful, such a happy vibe to it Dot,gorgeous creation
Hugs
Donna xx
Susanne Rose said…
This is a wonderful spread Dot!!! Thanks for the tutorial! xx Susanne.
Beautiful art piece Dot, love it!
ionabunny said…
Blubb blubb love this scene. Fabulous. Hugz

Popular posts from this blog

February Theme Challenge - Layers

IMPORTANT message from Bibi

Create with your own imagination... (by Corinne, GDT this month)

Poodles of Snow, Cute as a Button