In Flight - Altered Slide Mailer by Katy Leitch


I fell in love the Vintage Birds stamps we were sent in this month's DT package - this set is so versatile with lots of great images. Plus I am just a sucker for birds!

I decided to make an altered slide mailer with my stamps, after realising that the stamp collage was a perfect fit for the cover. A slide mailer is a little cardboard wallet for safely posting glass microscope slides. Try ebay if you'd like to get your hands on some.



I decorated the mailer as follows:
1) Gesso then paint the whole mailer - I used a cream paint.
2) Add stencilling in a few places with blue paint (stencil is by Tim Holtz).
3) When dry use a permanent ink to stamp the postcard image all over - I used it sideways on. Add a few other stamped details such as the feathers on the inside front. Ink all the edges.
4) Stamp the bird collage (for the front), the quote and some pieces of card to fit the slide recesses. Colour with watercolour pencils and inks. Stamp the bird again and layer up.
5) Stamp Feathered and Friends onto the glass slides and use Glossy Accents on the very edges to stick them into the recesses. Tear out the quote and add it inside.
6) Add a feather and a painted word plaque to the cover. Complete with twine to enable the mailer to be tied shut.


Below are the gorgeous stamps I used for this make. 

B2-L - Vintage BirdsThis sheet of stamps is BIG! 20 x 26 cm (8 1/2 x 10 1/2 inches)

I loved making this - I hope you've enjoyed it too.

Katy x

To see all the stamps Rubber Dance has to offer, go here: www.rubberdance.com

Comments

Majo said…
This is awesome, Katy! Love your style ♥
Gerrina said…
So beautiful! Love that colourcombi of blue and brown! The warmth and vintage-feeling is so great!
Cataleya said…
Very beautiful project! I love this colors very much!!! :)
~Olga Kovalchuk
Unknown said…
Love it Katy! That blue looks gorgeous. I had no idea what a slide mailer was! Fabulous project idea x
Bibi Lindahl said…
When Katy first showed me a photo of this project, I think I must have drooled a bit on my keyboard ... Those colours are so yummy I could eat them! (Good thing she didn't send the slider to me, ey? lol). Thanks again, Katy - it is stunning!! :-)
XOX

Popular posts from this blog

February Theme Challenge - Layers

IMPORTANT message from Bibi

Create with your own imagination... (by Corinne, GDT this month)

Poodles of Snow, Cute as a Button