Live With Passion - Stamping and Alcohol inks - Tutorial

Good morning and happy Friday, it's Sue here and I'm happy to be sharing something that I've not used in ages - microscope slides.




I started by choosing some strong shades of alcohol ink and colouring the slides. Then I gave them all a second coat to build up the depth of colour.


They look so good after the second coat. There's no blending fluid used, the colours just mottle by themselves.


For the stamping, I used my Tim Holtz platform as I wanted to be able to re-stamp if the image wasn't strong enough. As it happens it was perfect first time which is all down to the quality of the stamp! I used Potting Soil Archival. It has to be Archival ink for this technique, but any colour will do.


You just wait a few seconds for the ink to dry, then rub with a soft cloth, and the Archival ink removes the alcohol ink the reveal the pattern of the stamp. Can you see the beautiful large butterfly from Butterfly Trio?


I love how the white stands out against the bold colours. You need to choose a stamp where there's something going on all over otherwise there's nothing to remove the alcohol ink. This butterfly was perfect! I've just stuck it to white card and gone around the edges with silver paint.


Time for the background now. I painted a wooden plaque with Tinting Base and Diazoxide Purple, as the purple on its own would be far too strong.


Then on with a layer of crackle paint. The purple shows up nicely through the cracks.


To finish I've added some Tim Holtz stickers and Remnant Rubs.

I hope you like it, it was fun to get out the slides again, and I'm really happy with how it's turned out. There's still time for you to join in with our Movie challenge, so please get stamping!

Have a wonderful weekend, and thanks very much for looking xx

Supplies

Rubber Dance Stamps - Butterfly Trio

Other 'stuff'

Wooden plaque
Strong colours of alcohol inks - I used 3
Microscope slides
Archival ink - any colour
DecoArt tinting base, diazoxide purple, and crackle paint
Tim Holtz Chit Chat Stickers, and Remnant Rubs



Comments

Bibi Lindahl said…
This is gorgeous, Sue! I had not heard of that technique before, but I love working with alcohol inks and will give this a try! The colours on the slides are gorgeous and I love the final result on the crackle background. Super cool!!
Thank you so much for sharing! ♥ ♥ ♥
Ooooh fantastic, I’ve seen this method before and admired the great results you can achieve so thanks for the reminder Sue....now I’ve just got to hunt out the slides ;)
Hugs
Donna xx
Julie S said…
My alcohol inks are hidden away in a drawer and I forget about them. Great inspiration!
Fantastic inspiration! Beautiful make 💕
Ink Art Designs said…
I looove alcohol inks, but I've never made anything as beautiful as this Sue. It is totally gorgous, love the bold colours.
Dot x
Susanne Rose said…
WOW! I love how this turned out. I've never tried alcohol inks. I love the result. It's amazing.

Popular posts from this blog

February Theme Challenge - Layers

IMPORTANT message from Bibi

Create with your own imagination... (by Corinne, GDT this month)

Poodles of Snow, Cute as a Button