Lolly Whale - Donna Gray

Hi everyone,

Donna here today with my very first inspirational post for Rubber Dance and it involves using my current obsession....lolly sticks!



I love the lolly sticks as not only are they really cheap and easy to find, they also take paints and stamping brilliantly too, the possibilities are endless with them.

I painted the sticks with a mixture of chalk paints, dried them thoroughly and then sanded them back a little for a distressed effect. I then glued 3 sticks at the back of of my creation to make sure it stayed rigid. This is important as just gluing the sides will not be strong enough to keep them all together.

Next step was to stamp some of the designs from Whale Wishes directly onto the sticks with a mixture of Archival ink colours in green and blue.

Using a piece of Clearly for Art I stamped the cutest whale ever on there in black Archival ink after first colouring it with Alcohol Inks (you can just about see it if you look closely). This stuff is brilliant as you heat it and while it's still warm you gently bend it into whatever shape you want and it stays that way. If you don't like it, not a problem, just reheat and reshape!

I attached him (or maybe her) with a tiny dab of clear glue and set about adding all my embellishments which included twine, cheesecloth, nail caviar and buttons etc. Add whatever you have in your stash, there is no right or wrong.

I added another lolly stick as a finishing touch with one of the sentiments from the whale wishes set.

Can you tell how much I love the lolly sticks and the whale?!

Hope you like it
Donna x







Comments

wow! beautiful project :) love the use of the lolly sticks, very unique and super cool idea. Thanks for sharing.
hugs
preeti
Nikki Acton said…
Great choice of surface Donna ... Wonderfully designed xx
Amanda said…
Brilliant, what a fab idea to create on the lolly sticks looks fabulous
love
Amanda X
Mac Mable said…
Such a fun and creative idea...love it x
Love this Donna, great surface to work on so warm. Susanne's Whale looks very much at home amongst all those lovely embellishment xx
I love this Donna! Beautiful colours 💕
Sue said…
This is wonderful Donna, fabulous ideas and colours xx
Dorthe said…
I Loooove it Donna, the background from lolly sticks is a most amazing idea, and I lov e the nail caviar on the bottom , so beautiful, together with your smiling whale, surely a she , ;-) - also gorgeous with the Clearly for Art , making colors from under, viewable , and making me really feel I see water and whale through a big window !! A stunning art piece, my dear, Hugs , Dorthe, Xx
create.365 said…
this is incredible -thank you so much for the inspiration!!!
ike said…
THAT IS SO AWESOME :-) X
ionabunny said…
This is fun and pretty. What a lovely project. Hugz
What a briliant idea to use lolli sticks in mixed media art. Thank you so much for sharing, I will definitely try this in the future. Your Project looks amazing. So pretty.
Hugs, Anita x
Fantastic creation, beautiful background. Love this so much Donna.

Popular posts from this blog

February Theme Challenge - Layers

IMPORTANT message from Bibi

Create with your own imagination... (by Corinne, GDT this month)

Poodles of Snow, Cute as a Button