Whale Love - Painty Card Tutorial by Dot

Hi everyone,
It's Dot here with a fun tutorial for you.
I've tried something a little different today.  Recently I came across a style where you have a scene in the background, then you paint over it and have a scene over the top.  The background scene just pops through.

It looked like a fun idea so here is my take on it.  I hope you give it a go too.  And being Valentine's Day today it has a love twist.


This is the finished card.
Now for the process.  Sit back and watch how my mind worked with this.





The Whale (from Whale Wishes):
I added some watered down paint to a gesso-ed piece of card and dried with a heat tool. Dabbing with a baby-wipe as I went to create some fun lighter areas.  Then stamp the whale and cut out.

I later edged the whale with a little black ink and added a tiny bit to his body to give him more dimension.  You can see the effect in the finished card.






Step 1: 
I put some gesso onto my white card.  This gives a good base to play with paint.  It also makes the colours a little brighter.  After it was dry I added some blue/green paint randomly using my fingers. Then blended grey paint towards the outer areas and a little in the center.






Step 2:
I stamped with the green/blue paint some bubbles and seaweed from Whale Wishes. Dry.  Then stamped some seals from Playful Penguins with black ink.  When dry I added a white-wash of watered down white paint over the top.  The idea is to fade everything out so that it is pushed into the background for later.





Step 3:
Now to push the scene back a little more.  I grabbed my brayer and some white paint and started rolling.  More emphasis to the outside, and just a little through the center to make it look better (in my eyes anyway).






Step 4:
Being satisfied with the background, it is now time to start the foreground. I've used the hearts from our new set called From Moo To You. I love how there are 3 different sized hearts to play with. The sentiment is from Whale Wishes.






Step 5:
I've decided to add some seaweed from Playful Penguins.  This is a fun way to create a border.




Step 6:
Attach the whale. Colour in the seaweed.  And add a little black ink around the edges to add more of a border.  As an after thought I added some more bubbles from Whale Wishes and coloured them in with white paint. And one more big heart too. Then mount it all.


I've been learning heaps about playing with paint from Susanne and Melina.
You can follow them on you tube and see how they work.  Amazing!
They also have loads of videos on this blog for you to check out.

I'm new to painty things.  But I am having fun with it. 
I've discovered that I like to paint with my fingers and use a brayer.
And to not be scared. That's a huge thing with something new isn't it?


Products Used:
DecoArt Paints
Distress Oxides
Gesso
Archival Ink 

Rubber Dance Stamps Used:

       


A reminder that we have a challenge that goes all month on our face book page which you can find here.
It is always ANYTHING GOES/ or a colour combo if you wish.

Happy Stamping!
Dot x

Comments

What a sweet card Dot so full of love, I love Susanne's whale stamp *Whaly much* :))
Your background is fabulous, white gesso is marvellous for blending in those stamped images, it really does give the perception that they are in the distance. Superb!
Thank you for sharing Hugs Tracey xx
Bibi Lindahl said…
Lovely "double scene", Dot! Great idea!! Thank you so much for the tutorial! ♥

Popular posts from this blog

New Stamps Release Sale!

NEW! Join our Monthly Colour Challenge!

Back from The Netherlands

Rubber Dance Blog Hop