Just Keep Swimming - A Black And White Tutorial by Sue

Good afternoon and happy Tuesday.  I'm really happy to be sharing my piece with you today - it's one of those that's turned out pretty much as I had it in my head.  Obviously I'm not showing you the practice pieces that ended up in the bin - or am I....

At the moment I'm going through a bit of a black and white phase. It's hot on the heels of the kraft card phase, and C&S is still dead to me.


I recently went on a doodling course (oh yes I did) because I seriously went into panic mode whenever I had to doodle. This isn't what I learned on the course, but if I hadn't taken it, I could never have made this (and what a loss that would be ;-) )
So we start with some black card and a white pen I've used a Signo Uni Ball this time, but I also love my white Posca pen. I've also used a circle die to draw around.

I've drawn around the inside and outside edge with the white pen. I've used the magnets from my stamping platform to hold the die in place. 


 Then I've used a ruler to draw triangles to connect the inside to the outside ring. Make sure to keep wiping the ruler clean as the paint from the pen could drag. I've just drawn horizontal lines in my triangles, and vertical lines on my wave shapes. Yes it does make your eyes go funny! I've not used a ruler for this bit 'cos life's too short and this is meant to be fun, not a geometry class!

OK that's enough fun,  I've used a ruler again for this bit, just filling in the corners.

And then more triangles. I had to stop myself now 'cos you could honestly just go on forever and I hadn't stamped anything yet - but I did know what was going in my circle.

 So in keeping with the theme, I've stamped my black fishes on white card...

and my white fishes on black card. I did say that I would be showing my binned piece. This did NOT come out like it was in my head - even my head isn't this chaotic! I know that fish is upside down, but I promise that no fishes were harmed in the making of this piece - this is Charlie the stunt fish and it's taken him years to learn how to swim like this!

Time for my favourite part , the cutting out - ugh. Now the great thing about Melina designing stamps is that she is also a crafter and she knows that we don't all like fussy cutting. The result is she designs her stamps to be easy to cut out. So now it's just a case of cutting and sticking and adding a bit o' bling.
 Can you see Charlie, he's the right way up now - he knows when there's a camera pointed at him!
I hope you like my black and white piece, and if you're scared of doodling too, just grab a white pen and give it a go.
Have a wonderful day, and thanks very much for looking.


Stamps used

Comments

ionabunny said…
It's doodliscious. Love the black and white and the stunt fish. Hugz
Lemon Creation said…
Wow, Sue, I absolutely love it! Love white doodling on black and this is a perfect example of that! Great idea with using circle die! xo
Lovely doodles Sue, I bet you really got lost in the moment with that white pen. Black and white is always a winner and the use of those sweet quirky fishes sets the perfect back drop for them to swim around. Fabulous work of art.
Hugs Tracey xx
Redanne said…
Your doodling is fabulous Sue, it must be so relaxing doing it - it was definitely worth the time and effort for such an amazing result! Hugs, Anne xx
Bibi Lindahl said…
Enjoyable read that gave me a few good chuckles, Sue! Love your card, it's really striking in black and white, and your doodeling looks fun and easy (but I know it takes practise). Thank you so much for sharing the process, with several good tips along the way! ♥ ♥ ♥
Loved reading this post and I love your make too ❤ You are really good at doodling!
I never know what I enjoy more Sue when I pop on over to here....your amazing creations or your funny posts, love your card ❤️❤️
Hugs
Donna xx
Sue said…
Thank you so much everyone for your lovely comments xx
Ink Art Designs said…
Poor Charlie ... I'm glad that he got sorted out in the end lol.
A stunner of a black and white card Sue!
So clever how you created that intricate frame, and I do love those fish!
Alison x

Popular posts from this blog

February Theme Challenge - Layers

IMPORTANT message from Bibi

Create with your own imagination... (by Corinne, GDT this month)

Poodles of Snow, Cute as a Button