Hoppy Shopper

Hello.  Gail from the design team here today with an idea for something a little different.  I am using the gorgeous Bonny Bunny but decided to alter my substrate and make myself a shopping bag.  Or maybe that should be a hopping bag LOL....


OK, now this is actually a bit of a strange thing for me cos I am quite hopeless with the sewing machine.  But I do use a lot of fabric bags when I am shopping, instead of plastic.  I saw some cheap, lightweigh cotton fabric at Ikea and had this idea.  I mean, it's not that technical is it.  Is it??


So here's my bag.  I used a rectangle 36 x 75 cm for the bag and two pieces 70 x 8 cm for the straps.  These are quite long, but I wanted to be able to put it over my shoulder.  


Then I stamped the rabbit, sentiment and carrots.  I remember reading a blog post where they had used lots of different inks on fabric and had concluded that most work.  Obviously distress inks are out for this, but I decided to try archival.  I stamped it on a scrap of fabric and heat set with an iron and then washed it in hot water.  It seemed that it would stay put so that's what I used.  I gave the bag a good hot iron after stamping to set the ink.


Again, I tried a few mediums on a scrap of the cloth.  Sharpies bled a bit so I decided to go with acrylic and Fresco Finish chalk paint.  I haven't tried to wash this yet but am hoping the paints will survive at least a few washes.  I have stamped and painted both sides.  


Looking forward to taking my Bonny Bunny shopper out next time I need carrots.   And if that paint stands up to the washing machine I think I may need to make myself a t-shirt....

Comments

Bibi Lindahl said…
Hopping bag - so funny! Congrats befriending the sewing machine - "seams" like the result ain't too shabby! In fact, I'm quite impressed and you've given me hope for my machine & me as well! Love the blue bunny and all its carrots scattered around. Hope the paint will stay when you wash it, if you have to.
I bet you will get a lot of questions about that bag when you go hopp.. I mean shopping; "Where did you get it and can I get one, too?" Talk of the town.
Thanks so much for sharing, Gail! ♥ ♥ ♥
Mac Mable said…
Love your hopping bag...such fun and so very unique...clever and creative x
LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE, Gail you are sooooooo clever!!
Hugs
Donna xx
Brilliant idea of hopping bag, Gail. :) I am sure everyone will ask about it when you you will go for shopping.
Sue said…
I love this Gail, the colours are amazing! Good luck with the washing machine xx
Inna Bronnikova said…
Oh this is stunning! Thank you for sharing with us at Mixed Media World!
Dreja said…

Ganz fabelhaft gemacht. Vielen Dank für deine Teilnahme bei der Stempelsonne.
LG Dreja
Rubber Dance said…
I love this so much! Stunning idea!!!
Nat said…
very awesome, I'm a big fan of stamping on fabric! :) Thanks for playing along in this months challenge over at OCS! Natalie DT member.
Tasha J said…
This bag is too cute!!! Thanks for entering the D2BA Challenge! -Tasha :)

Popular posts from this blog

February Theme Challenge - Layers

IMPORTANT message from Bibi

Create with your own imagination... (by Corinne, GDT this month)

Poodles of Snow, Cute as a Button