In the Frame with Katy

My step-by-step today uses paints, inks, gilding wax, and of course stamps to personalise a picture frame. This frame is really horrible white plastic and came from the £1 shop - but (assuming I've done my job right!) you wouldn't know it. A vellum bloom completes the vintage look.

Here's how I transformed a £1 buy into a priceless treasure for my home.

1) This is the frame before I started work on it. It also has a piece of glass which isn't shown.

2) I started by covering the frame with black gesso (I used DecoArt brand which covered in one coat - awesome!).

3) Add a coat of silver coloured paint over the gesso, then dry brush with black paint to give the silver a tarnished look.

4) Using a very soft brush lightly 'dust' over the frame with Treasure Gold gilding wax. Keep the coverage light - you want the black and silver paint to show. This gives a fabulous aged look!

5) Stamp all over a piece of vellum with white ink using Rubber Dance's Lace stamp - I used Brilliance as it will dry on vellum but you could use pigment ink as long as you heat set it.

6) Die cut the printed vellum with Tim Holtz' Tattered Florals die. Also cut some plain vellum blossoms and stamp them with the Vintage Script stamp from Rubber Dance.

7) Layer the flowers to make a large blossom, curling the petals for definition. Add a touch of grey ink to the edges (I used Archival Watering Can).

8) Stamp another piece of vellum to fit the frame as per the previous step. Also stamp a piece of card with Vintage Script. Layer them as shown so the script shows through the lace pattern.

9) Place the glass plate from the frame over the photo as a guide and stamp desired images with StazOn onto the glass. Allow to dry well.

10) Trim the photo and add to the background panel along with vellum die cuts and a piece of lace sprayed with silver ink. Place the picture in the frame and add the bloom bottom right to finish.

Hope you've enjoyed your visit to Rubber Dance today - until next time.

Katy x

Here are the awesome Rubber Dance stamps I used:

Lace

Love Musical

Vintage Script

I Heart Art

Comments

Gerrina said…
Beautuful frame! And such a delicate flower!
Bibi Lindahl said…
Awww, this is so sweet and romantic, Katy!! I was moved to tears when I saw it, that's how silly I am when I see how my stamps can be used!! ♥ Thank you so much!
LOVE how you decorated that cheap frame and turned it into an "antique" one and the vellum flower is stunning!!
xox
Majo said…
So very romantic, love it, dear Katy! Need to make that flower, it'*s awesome!
Artatag said…
Brilliant work Katy! So romantic! Love it!
Susanne Rose said…
Wow! That's so beautiful. Great flower!!!
massofhair said…
Fantastic frame updo, good to know DecoArt black Gesso has great coverage. Gorgeous flowers and a particularly lovely memory brought to life:-) xxx
Great transformation of an ordinary frame. It looks fab with the aged silver and the vellum flower!
2amscrapper said…
This is wonderful! And thanks for the frame tutorial. Yesterday I bought some champagne ice metallic lustre, hoping to pull off a frame design such as yours. This is very timely for me--thank you!
Unknown said…
Such a great way to use stamps - looks so pretty. Love that vellum bloom. I am using my tattered flowers today - gotta love that die!
Craftyfield said…
Fantastic transformation of a cheap frame. I will be looking at them in a different way... Love what you've done with the vellum and script background as well as the metal effect on the frame.
barb1066 said…
Gorgeous Katy yet another awesome idea ...love the lace rose x

Popular posts from this blog

Happiness is a state of mind - Art Journal Page

Create with your own imagination... (by Corinne, GDT this month)

IMPORTANT message from Bibi

Join our Combined Blog Hop!